Back to Match Reports

Glasgow Tigers 52 Northumberland Lightning 6

June 19th 2016

Northumberland had an early start as they made the 160 mile trip to Nethercraigs for an early 12pm kick-off. The Tigers won the toss and elected to receive – starting with decent field position thanks to a return from Nathan Brodie.

The Tigers offence took to the field hoping to make a quick start to make up for their poor performance in the previous match. Glasgow leaned mostly on their strong passing game, with Paddy O’Donnell finding Robb Gould for a first down on the first snap of the game. After some good short passes to running backs Pete McNaughton and Andy Reid, O’Donnell found Robb Gould once more, this time for a 37-yard reception which he took all the way home to the endzone. Paddy O’Donnell then scrambled to run in the two-point conversion leaving the Tigers with an early 8-0 lead.

Next it was time for the defence to take the field and they managed to stuff the Lightning’s offence at the first opportunity, forcing a quick three-and-out. Scott McIntosh returned the Lightning’s punt for an 18-yard gain, giving the Tigers offence great field position once again. After a few solid plays, Robb Gould caught the ball in open field again, this time running 54 yards for his second touchdown of the game. The two-point conversion was no good this time, leaving the score at 14-0.

The Lightning found some success on their next drive, managing a few first downs thanks to good scrambling by their QB Callum Pattison. However, despite their best efforts, blitzing linebacker Corin Mack was unaccounted for and came crashing through to sack Pattison, ending the Lightning’s drive and forcing a well-covered punt, giving Glasgow the ball backed up against their own endzone.

Just two plays later, the Lightning thought they had finally caught a break as they picked off a Glasgow pass, only for Michael Curran to recover the ball for the Tigers after it was knocked loose by Robert Morrison just seconds after the interception.

With a first down awarded due to the fumble recovery, the Tigers finally got their running game going thanks to some excellent work by the offensive line – providing large gaps for Kris Krol, Pete McNaughton and Andy Reid to run through. Wide Receiver Stuart McNeil also took some long carries. After getting just a few yards from the endzone, the Tigers went for it on 4th down but a pass to Scott Vallance went incomplete thanks to some great defence from Northumberland, who got the ball back deep in their own territory as the first quarter came to a close.

Once again Northumberland punted after just 3 plays and it was clear that the Glasgow defence would not be giving much up today. The offence came on the field looking to make up for failing to convert on their last visit and they got back into the swing of things quickly after a long pass to Tommy Gorman set up a touchdown run for Kris Krol who ran it in from 8 yards. Andy Reid ran in the two-pointer to make it 22-0.

Shortly after, Reid had his own touchdown after Robb Gould returned a Lightning punt to around the halfway line. The two-point conversion was run in by Yoann Hubert

The Tigers brought QB Darnell Starks into the game for the first time this season after suffering an injury back in March against Dumfries. He was given great starting position as Ben Filmer blocked Northumberland’s punt, giving the Tigers the ball deep in Lightning territory. It didn’t take Starks long to find his old favourite target Scott Vallance in the endzone for another Tigers touchdown.

In the second half, Darnell Starks scored another touchdown, this time running the ball in himself on the back of long completions to QB-turned-Receiver Paddy O’Donnell and Scott Vallance. O’Donnell then added the conversion as the Tigers were ahead 44-0.

It was a short second half due to the running clock rule but there was still time for Tommy Gorman to grab himself a touchdown, while Conal Grieve darted through to add the two-point conversion making that 52 unanswered points.

Northumberland showed just how big their hearts are and eventually found their reward when QB Pattison found Tight End Lee Davison with a long pass to get the Lightning on the board. Their two-point attempt was unsuccessful. Final score: 52-6.

This victory means the Tigers move to 5-1 for the season, already equalling last season’s win total. Their next home game is a tough one against the Dundee Hurricanes, who came very close to beating Glasgow in Game 1. The Glasgow Tigers cannot afford to slip up here so this is one to watch very carefully. The game kicks off at 2.30pm on Sunday July 3rd at Lochinch.

Pictures are from last year's Northumberland game, courtesy of Digitalpict Photography.